Session Moderator: David Elzinga, Senior Energy Specialist, ADB
- Bambang Susantono, Vice-President, Knowledge Management, Asian Development Bank
- Craig Hart, Deputy Mission Director, US Agency for International Development (USAID)/Vietnam
- Daegyun Oh, Executive Director, Climate Response. Korea Energy Agency (KEA)
- H.E. Kara Owen, CVO, British High Commissioner to Singapore
Climate Finance and the Path to Recovery: Supporting Clean Energy in Asia and the Pacific amid the Challenges of COVID-19
- President Masatsugu Asakawa, President, Asian Development Bank
President Asakawa introduced the theme of ACEF 2020 and highlighted the work of ADB’s response to COVID-19 and the role of energy in the context Strategy 2030 to support recovery in ADB’s developing member countries.
Keynote: Putting Clean Energy at the Heart of COVID-19 Recovery Plans
- Dr. Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency (IEA)
Dr. Birol outlined the ever-growing role of Asia in global energy markets and how in response to Covid-19 the region can utilize investment in sustainable energy (including renewables, energy efficiency, and other low carbon options ) as a means of creating jobs, reducing local pollution and carbon emissions, while also increasing energy sector resilience.
Panel Discussion: Sustainable Energy for Economic Recovery
- Global lockdowns due to Covid 19 have shown us what clean air looks like – can we use this crisis to mobilize support for climate change mitigation?
- Increased resilience is needed in energy markets and energy delivery – how can we better prepare for the next crisis (market, weather, pandemic)?
- How can the most vulnerable be best supported through energy related stimulus?
- What do we need to do now to head in the right direction?
Panel Moderator: Yongping Zhai, Energy Sector Chief, ADB
- Wasantha Perera, Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Power & Energy, Sri Lanka
- Upendra Tripathy, Director General, International Solar Alliance ·
- Dave Turk, Acting Deputy Executive Director, IEA
- Woochong Um, Director General, SDCC, Asian Development Bank