Solar energy development in the last 10 years has been dominated by solar PV for electricity, with cost reductions accruing due to the inherent economies of scale in manufacturing. Consistent with ADB’s Strategy 2030, investment needs to shift to other sustainable, value-added end-uses, including solar-powered water supply (desalination, and water from air); digital precision agriculture for food security (climate-proof greenhouses, urban vertical farms); concentrating solar power for heat applications (industrial heat and steam, district heating); solar energy applications in the health sector; and solar-powered air-conditioning and space cooling; and power to gas.
Potential topics in this session could include:
- Climate-smart agriculture using water from solar powered desalination
- Concentrating solar thermal systems for industrial applications
- Solar + hydrogen for 24/7 electricity services
- Solar irrigation and solar ice production
- ADB’s floating solar experience and portfolio
- Solar energy applications in the health sector